The more people lend a hand, the more we can achieve. You can help us achieve more by offering any kind of help, whether that is regularly, or just occasionally. We are keen for people to offer whatever they enjoy thinking about and doing. Here are some ideas….
- Practical conservation work. See our list of upcoming sessions here
- Help with writing or designing materials such as newsletters, leaflets and posters.
- Developing walks that we can offer as a leaflet on our website
- Finding out about relevant issues, from water pollution, through to the history of the area.
- Communications out to our supporters and others, using social media, traditional media, visits, talks and so on
- Seeking funding; writing applications for funding grants
- building relationships with local groups and organisations; this could be a speciality, eg working with local schools or with local businesses
- being part of ongoing dialogue about Ludwell Valley, with Exeter City Council, Devon Wildlife Trust and South West Water
- being a member of our Steering Group,
This note sets out more information to help you decide whether this might be something you would enjoy being part of. The Steering Group is there to achieve the purpose and aims of the group. This means driving and managing Ludwell Life’s activities.
Meetings are held approximately every three weeks at present, with the hope of scaling down to once a month when the Group feels fully established. Meetings are at a time that is convenient for Steering Group members, ie flexibly timed.
What does being on the Steering Group mean?
Being on the Steering Group requires people who:
- Are committed to achieving the aims of the Group, as set out in our purpose and aims.
- Within their Ludwell Life Steering Group role, do not formally or informally, act as representatives of another organisation, or seek to promote a narrow set of interests
- Are comfortable with using email as a key means of communication within the Steering Group, including handling and filing a fair volume of email and documents, and accessing a shared Gmail email account and Google documents.
- Are willing to undertake tasks in between Steering Group meetings ie take an active role, beyond just turning up to meetings. These tasks will usually be suited to your own skills and experience, but could include writing emails, letters, meeting people – including people from local councils and other agencies, as well as voluntary groups and charities – to discuss projects, finding out about things, funding research and applications, heading up or being part of one of our Working Groups, and so on.
- Ideally, have a specific skill or experience that is helpful to the Steering Group as a whole
- Enjoy working as a part of a team who share values and goals.
Becoming a member of the Ludwell Life Steering Group
If you are interested in becoming a member of the Steering Group, please email us a short note about yourself and why you want to join us. Assuming we are all happy to go forward, the next step would be to attend meeting of the Steering Group to get a feel for the Group and how we work. After that, we will have chat internally and with you, and either invite you to join, or invite you to perhaps join one of our Working Groups, or decline your offer to be on the Steering Group if we feel that your skills are already covered for example.
Please email LudwellLife@gmail.com, or if you would like more information first, please ring Lynn Wetenhall on 0797 441 4613.